Searching for synonyms for address? Here’s some similar words from our thesaurus you can use instead.
address as in (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored
- computer address (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored
- reference refer to; a remark that calls attention to something or someone; a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; an indicator that orients you generally; a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts; a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the act of referring or consulting; a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to; (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored ; the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to
address as in the place where a person or organization can be found or communicated with
address as in the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience
- "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
- speech the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; (language) communication by word of mouth; something spoken; the exchange of spoken words; your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally; a lengthy rebuke; words making up the dialogue of a play; the mental faculty or power of vocal communication
address as in the manner of speaking to another individual
- "he failed in his manner of address to the captain"
address as in a sign in front of a house or business carrying the conventional form by which its location is described
address as in written directions for finding some location
- "written on letters or packages that are to be delivered to that location"
- destination the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey); the ultimate goal for which something is done ; written directions for finding some location
- name and address written directions for finding some location
address as in the stance assumed by a golfer in preparation for hitting a golf ball
address as in social skill
- savoir-faire social skill
address as in speak to
- "He addressed the crowd outside the window"
- turn to speak to; direct one's interest or attention towards
address as in give a speech to
- "The chairman addressed the board of trustees"
- speak express in speech; exchange thoughts; use language; give a speech to; make a characteristic or natural sound
address as in put an address on (an envelope)
- direct without deviation; direct in spatial dimensions; having no intervening persons, agents, conditions; straightforward in means or manner or behavior or language or action; in a straight unbroken line of descent from parent to child; moving from west to east on the celestial sphere; similar in nature or effect or relation to another quantity; (of a current) flowing in one direction only; being an immediate result or consequence; in precisely the same words used by a writer or speaker; lacking compromising or mitigating elements; command with authority; intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; guide the actors in (plays and films) ; be in charge of ; take somebody somewhere; cause to go somewhere; point or cause to go (blows, weapons, or objects such as photographic equipment) towards; lead, as in the performance of a composition; give directions to; specifically design a product, event, or activity for a certain public ; direct the course; put an address on (an envelope) ; plan and direct (a complex undertaking)
address as in direct a question at someone
address as in address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question
address as in greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name
- "He always addresses me with `Sir'"
- "Call me Mister"
- "She calls him by first name"
- call a telephone connection; a special disposition (as if from a divine source) to pursue a particular course; a loud utterance; a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty" ; the characteristic sound produced by a bird; a brief social visit; a demand by a broker that a customer deposit enough to bring his margin up to the minimum requirement ; a demand for a show of hands in a card game; a request; an instruction that interrupts the program being executed; a visit in an official or professional capacity; (sports) the decision made by an umpire or referee; the option to buy a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date ; assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; ascribe a quality to or give a name of a common noun that reflects a quality; get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone; utter a sudden loud cry; order, request, or command to come; pay a brief visit; call a meeting; read aloud to check for omissions or absentees; send a message or attempt to reach someone by radio, phone, etc.; utter a characteristic note or cry; stop or postpone because of adverse conditions, such as bad weather; greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name; make a stop in a harbour; demand payment of (a loan); make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands; give the calls (to the dancers) for a square dance ; indicate a decision in regard to; make a prediction about; require the presentation of for redemption before maturation; challenge (somebody) to make good on a statement; declare in the capacity of an umpire or referee; lure by imitating the characteristic call of an animal; order or request or give a command for; order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role; utter in a loud voice or announce; challenge the sincerity or truthfulness of; consider or regard as being; rouse somebody from sleep with a call
address as in access or locate by address
address as in act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression
- "This book deals with incest"
- "The course covered all of Western Civilization"
- "The new book treats the history of China"
- cover a covering that serves to conceal or shelter something; bedding that keeps a person warm in bed; the act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it; the protective covering on the front, back, and spine of a book; a natural object that covers or envelops; covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container); fire that makes it difficult for the enemy to fire on your own individuals or formations; a fixed charge by a restaurant or nightclub over and above the charge for food and drink ; a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else; a false identity and background (especially one created for an undercover agent); provide with a covering or cause to be covered; form a cover over; span an interval of distance, space or time; provide for; act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; include in scope; travel across or pass over; be responsible for reporting the details of, as in journalism; hold within range of an aimed firearm ; to take an action to protect against future problems; hide from view or knowledge; protect or defend (a position in a game); maintain a check on; protect by insurance; make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities; invest with a large or excessive amount of something; help out by taking someone's place and temporarily assuming his responsibilities; be sufficient to meet, defray, or offset the charge or cost of; spread over a surface to conceal or protect; cover as if with a shroud; copulate with a female, used especially of horses; put something on top of something else; play a higher card than the one previously played; be responsible for guarding an opponent in a game ; sit on (eggs); clothe, as if for protection from the elements
- treat something considered choice to eat ; an occurrence that causes special pleasure or delight ; interact in a certain way; subject to a process or treatment, with the aim of readying for some purpose, improving, or remedying a condition; provide treatment for; act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; provide with a gift or entertainment; provide with choice or abundant food or drink; engage in negotiations in order to reach an agreement; regard or consider in a specific way
- handle the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it; be in charge of, act on, or dispose of; interact in a certain way; act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; touch, lift, or hold with the hands; handle effectively; show and train
- plow a farm tool having one or more heavy blades to break the soil and cut a furrow prior to sowing ; to break and turn over earth especially with a plow; act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; move in a way resembling that of a plow cutting into or going through the soil
- deal a particular instance of buying or selling; an agreement between parties (usually arrived at after discussion) fixing obligations of each; (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; a plank of softwood (fir or pine board) ; wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir) ; the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; the type of treatment received (especially as the result of an agreement); the act of distributing playing cards; the act of apportioning or distributing something; act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression; take into consideration for exemplifying purposes; take action with respect to (someone or something); succeed in doing, achieving, or producing (something) with the limited or inadequate means available; administer or bestow, as in small portions; do business; be in charge of, act on, or dispose of; behave in a certain way towards others; distribute cards to the players in a game; direct the course of; give out as one's portion or share ; give (a specific card) to a player; sell
address as in speak to someone
- accost speak to someone ; approach with an offer of sexual favors
- come up to speak to someone
address as in adjust and aim (a golf ball) at in preparation of hitting